While recently chatting with a few representatives of HR firms in my city, I found that while most HR persons have accounts on popular networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, they have still not started using social media for finding the right talent. I realized there is a great need to educate and inform a large many HR firms on why they must use the immense potential of social media to find and recruit the right talent, and that too at a cost advantage.
I will use this space to stimulate interest of HR professional towards using social media for hiring solutions.
Why Social Media?
Leveraging social media for recruitment has not only helped companies spot better talents, but it has also proven to be significantly more cost and time effective. The experience has been so encouraging that more companies today are looking to use social media more often than before for their recruitment process. The trend is more or less unilateral across all industry / business sectors.
Popular Networking Sites
While Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are more popular among recruiters, but the one’s whose needs are more diverse / specialized are also using blogs, Instagram, Yammer, Stackoverflow and GitHubs for promoting job openings among prospective candidates.
LinkedIn remains the most preferred social network in executing the recruitment process, whether it is posting jobs, searching candidates, contacting prospective candidates or vetting them pre-interview. Facebook is the next most popular choice, but there are differences in the way recruiters look to leverage Facebook, than they use LinkedIn.
Let us look at some of the most important benefits of using social media as a hiring solution –
- A Focused Selection Process – Employers or HR firms can specify preferences with regard to age, geography, and several other criteria to reduce their efforts in screening prospective resumes.
- Quicker Turnaround Time – The experience of most recruiters suggests that they are able to cut down significantly on the recruitment time, and job vacancies are now much more quickly filled up.
- High ROI Driven by Efficiencies – Social media has helped recruiters cut down on the resources, time, as well as the direct and indirect costs related to recruitment.
- Recruitment at all Levels – Whether it is scouting for middle managers, senior managers, and even entry level professionals, these social networks have incredible embedded powers to deliver very effective results.
- Building Recruiter Brand – Apart from easing the recruitment process, they also help companies and HR firms build their online visibility and brand.
- Build Talent Pools – Social media is a great way to build a talent pool.
Recruiters can connect with potential candidates and get to know them better over time. For a recruiter, the online behavior of a prospective employee serves as a good guide of his instinctive approach to seeking professional growth.
With social media, the world is only getting more connected. This presents an opportunity for recruiters to build their presence, visibility and brand on social media, so that they can access the best talent in a very efficient manner. A well knit effort across the different social media channels can help organizations not only ease their recruitment process, but also add value in terms of quality of talent they can look forward to hire for their needs.